Application and selection Dutch students
Make sure you follow the right application procedure.
Do you have a diploma from a Dutch education institution (diplomas from the Netherlands Antilles not included)? Please follow the application procedure below, even if you don't have Dutch nationality.
Do you have a diploma from a Non-Dutch educational institution (educational institutions from the Netherlands Antilles included)? Please follow the application procedure for international students, even if you have Dutch nationality.
Changes to application procedure (due to coronavirus)
Changes to the procedure below:
- The regular application deadline (1 May) for new students will be extended to 1 June.
- Unfortunately, the selection day at our campus in Breda cannot take place. For this reason, we will conduct the selection interview online via Skype or Facetime instead.
- Mbo students (with the right prior education) who are delayed in their graduation process are permitted to already apply and start their study programme at BUas in September. They will be given the opportunity to successfully complete their mbo studies until January 2021.
The Academy of Hotel Management is allowed to select all its students. In case you have not obtained your secondary school diploma yet, you can already apply by submitting your current grade list.
Make sure you apply before the deadline of 1 May
For students with a diploma from a Dutch educational institution the application procedure consists of four steps:
- Step 1: Enrolment application via Studielink
- Step 2: Apply via My online application
- Step 3: Take part in the selection procedure
- Step 4: Complete your registration; payment of tuition fee (when you have been selected)
Step 1: Enrolment application via Studielink
You are to apply through Studielink, the application and enrolment portal provided by the Netherlands Ministry of Education.
You can track the status of your application on your personal Studielink page and in the progress overview in My online application.
Step 2: Apply via My online application
Once you have submitted your Studielink enrolment, you will receive an email inviting you to follow up on your Studielink enrolment by applying in My online application; the sooner the better!
In My online application you will be requested to answer additional questions, to pick a date for selection and to upload your application documents; CV (in English), Motivation letter in English, your secondary school diploma including list of grades or your most recent list of grades if you have not obtained your diploma yet. After submitting your application, at the latest on 1 May, the admissions officer will check if you are eligible and will send you an invitation for a selection day. Along with this invitation, you will receive an online personality test, including an online English test. You will be asked to do both tests at home before the selection day.
During a selection day the academy will determine which candidates will be admitted to the degree programme.
Step 3: Take part in the selection procedure
The selection day consists of several parts:
- Introduction to Breda University of Applied Sciences’ International Hotel Management programme
- Selection interview with a lecturer – the results and outcome of the English test and personality test will be discussed during the interview. Apart from these results, you will start with a pitch in which you have the chance to introduce yourself, to show your motivation, and share your (international) hospitality experience to make sure the interviewers get the right impression of who you are.
- 'Speed dating’ – all your questions will be answered by lecturers, students, coaches and/or team members from our in-school training company Sibelicious
- Tour of the building
Within 3 weeks after the selection day, you will be notified whether or not you have been accepted to the programme.
Besides the formal admission requirements, affinity with the hospitality industry and/or proven work experience in this industry are also taken into account. Other selection criteria include analytical skills, understanding of commercial matters, social intelligence, service-oriented attitude, innovative mindset, language skills, independence and entrepreneurial spirit. In addition to this, you must demonstrate your proficiency in English. We will also discuss the level of your second foreign language. Please note that we reserve the right to select only those candidates we think will be the most likely to succeed based on the selection criteria.
Step 4: Complete your registration: payment of tuition fee
In order to complete your registration, you need to confirm your digital authorization or pay your tuition fee. More information about payment of tuition fee.
We will keep in touch
During the entire application, selection and registration procedure, we will keep in touch with you through email. Please make sure you read and respond to the instructions in time. You can follow your progress in your pre-study portal.