The use of tools
This video showcases work from our Visual Arts students. They use different tools to design and create this artwork, like Maya, Substance Painter and Unreal Engine.
Courses per year
During this four-year bachelor programme, you will have the opportunity to work on real-world projects, collaborate with industry professionals, and build a portfolio of work to showcase your visual art skills.
- Year 1
- Drawing skills
- Technical art
- Year 2
- Procedural modelling
- Technical art
- Year 3
- Advanced visual arts
- Outsource teams: concept, tech art, cinematic/VP
- Year 4
At least one of the following options:
- Work placement
- Personal project
For your application for the Visual Arts track we would like you to prepare a portfolio of work that evidences your process and progress in attempting a certain task. This ‘task’ is to create an accurate and technically proficient 3D model of a musical instrument, for example a trumpet, violin, grand piano, or drum kit, from first hand observations. Here you can read more information about the assignment and the criteria that the assignment must meet.
When your assignment is assessed as satisfactory, you will receive an invitation for an interview. This assignment, but also previously made work, will be discussed there.
The portfolio assignment and the interview are assessed against the criteria:
- Motivation (15%)
- We provide small-scale and intensive education. This means that we expect a 40 hours per week commitment to your study, strong teamwork, engagement in regular (1-on-1) feedback sessions, the ability to study independently, an interest in extra-curricular activities and a proactive attitude.
- Do you fit this profile? Explain why.
- How much time did you spend on the assignment?
- How did you prepare? What learning resources did you use?
- Communication (15%)
- Explain your assignment
- Are you proficient in English?
- Can you answer our questions clearly and concisely?
- Reflection (10%)
- What aspect of the assignment of the game did you like the most?
- What did you learn from making the assignment?
- What would you improve if you had more time?
- Portfolio + assignment - Skills & knowledge (60%)
- Quality of the assignment
- Examples of your best work
- Skills and knowledge you already have (including previous education)
Creativity with a clear purpose
In this track, you learn about the various aspects of visual arts for games such as character art, environment art, rigging, animation, and 3D concept art. You have the freedom to choose your focus after the first year, in which everyone learns the same. I personally enjoyed environment arts the most.
I chose this track because I wanted to pursue something creative with a clear purpose. After finishing vwo, I initially looked at research universities but for me it was all too theoretical. I also considered art academies, but they felt a bit vague. The Games programme of BUas, on the other hand, provides clear assignments and offer a creative outlet with a specific purpose.
The intake process for this study was a little nerve-wracking. I was given a home assignment that involved creating a 3D model of a musical instrument and 30 observation drawings. After the assignment, I was invited to come to campus for an interview. I had already worked on a game before, so I could confidently share my experience with the lecturers.
Overall, I'm grateful for my time at BUas. The group projects have been especially enjoyable, as everyone is motivated, and we all share the same interests. I feel prepared for the future as I plan to start my own indie game company.
To meet the educational requirements to this degree programme, you need a havo or vwo diploma or an equivalent of these Dutch diplomas. You can also be admitted with an equivalent of level-4 mbo diploma. Check out the complete admission requirements.
Application and selection
If you meet the admission requirements, you are invited to apply for this programme. Admission is based on selection, each year 220 students are admitted. Please check out the application and selection procedure.
In the academic year 2024-2025 the statutory + tuition fee for this bachelor programme is €3,160. In addition to the tuition fee, you will need to take into account additional costs for participation in the introduction week and the purchase of study materials such as textbooks and excursions. Read more about study costs.