Breda student city
Downtown Breda is bustling with pubs, pavement cafés,, restaurants, bars and clubs. Become a member of sports union BRESS, visit a concert or watch a film or a play in one of the cinemas or theatres.
A sparkling and historical city in the south of Holland with a cheerful personality? That’s Breda! Let its rich history and numerous present-day activities inspire you. Many students before you did so already.
Over the years Breda has grown into a city of around 180,000 inhabitants. The city's charming historical centre is easy to find your way around and very pleasant to spend time in. Talk with the 'Bredanaars', let all the impressions move you and discover the true character of the city!
Concerts, theaters and films
Mezz is the centre of all activities in pop music in Breda. In Mezz you can enjoy concerts and dance nights (about 250 a year) in various styles. Join the music!
In Chassé theater, Pathé Breda or Kinepolis, there is always something interesting to see. For students especially, Chassé has its own ‘cultuurfreak’ programme with great discounts!
Do you like sports? Then sign up with bress. A BRESS sports card offers you choice from more than 50 sports for one year! Check out www.bress.nl.
Free live performances and films are offered in the Valkenbergpark during the summer holidays every week. Every fall there is the Breda Barst pop music festival.
Belcrum beach, Breda’s city beach, is a perfect place to hang out with your friends. This is also where you can find indoor Skatepark Pier 15. Super cool!
Want to escape from it all? You can join in on a Prison Escape in the former prison of Breda. Next to the prison is the Chasséveld, where the Radio 538 event will be held on King’s Day.
April and May
- 538 Koningsdag (King’s Day)
- Spanjaardsgat Festival (cultural festival)
- Breda Jazz Festival
- Dancetour Breda
June and July
- Palm Parkies Breda (live performances)
- Popfestival Breda Live
- Internationaal Stiltefestival (dance)
August and September
- Breda in Concert
- Tranen van Van Cooth (live performances)
- Popfestival Breda Barst
- Singelloop Breda (running event)
- Redhead Days
- BredaPhoto (once every two years)
Student associations are part and parcel of university life. BUas has several associations. See which ones and find one to your liking.
- Student associations
BUas has several associations and clubs. They organise parties, sports and game activities, excursions and other events. Fun to join in, even more fun to help out. For example, on the board, as one of the web editors, or in a committee that organises activities. Looks great on your CV!
The student associations consist of students from different study backgrounds. In Breda, this often involves students from BUas and Avans.
- Phileas Fogg (various programmes of BUas and Avans)
- Maximus (various programmes of BUas and Avans)
- Xenia (Hotel & Facility)
- ’t KAG (Facility & Hotel)
- Study societies
Study societies are related to specific degree programmes and they organise several study-related activities.
- Dionysus (Games & Media)
- BELO (Built Environment & Logistics)
- SAB (Leisure & Events)
- Otrium (Master of Science Leisure and Tourism Studies)
- Pangea (Bachelor of Science Tourism)
Under the header Clubs@BUas several student and lecturer initiatives are arising with regard to specific fields of interest. There’s a huge diversity and everyone can take part. The language of communication is English.
Just to name a few:
- Vintage Game club
- Cooking club
- Life drawing club
- Sushi club
- Book club
- Yoga club
- Neurodiversity club
- Band Jam club
- Other associations
Students can also get connected as a group when it comes to specific interests they have in common.
A few examples in Breda:
- Derde Akte, theatre group for enthusiasts who want to get active on and behind the stage.
- CSV Ichtus Breda, for students who want to inspire each other in the Christian faith.
- BRESS (BREda Studenten Sport) for sports lovers.
- Erasmus Student Network Breda (ESN), for international and exchange students, but also for Dutch students who’d like to get in touch with international students.