Master Sustainable Outdoor Hospitality Management
2-year professional master’s programme | English-taught
Why choose this master's programme?
- Unique programme which specialises in sustainable large scale outdoor hospitality, such as camping resorts.
- Combining theory and practice where you will be studying 6 months each in the Netherlands, Croatia and Spain, and 6 months in the country of your choice
- Learning in an international classroom with different nationalities
Seeking a master’s programme in tourism, leisure, or imagineering? Take this short quiz to discover the best match for you.
Study at three locations in Europe
In the first semester of this English-taught Master Sustainable Outdoor Hospitality Management you will attend lectures at Breda University of Applied Sciences (in close cooperation with the Master of Tourism Destination Management).
In semester 2 you will also study at the University of Rijeka in Croatia. Furthermore, you will work on camping resorts in Croatia on sustainable business challenges in the fields of park design, stakeholder engagement, human resource management, concept design or strategic management.
In semester 3 you will move to the University of Girona (Spain) and deepen your academic and business management skills. In the last semester you will combine working in a traineeship and a thesis in a key outdoor hospitality region in Europe of your choice. If you already have work experience, you can also choose to shorten the programme to 20 months by doing your traineeship in the first year between June and the end of September, leaving you with only your thesis to complete after your stay in Girona.
The programme starts with a semester at Breda University of Applied Sciences, which we refer to as Context of Tourism and Outdoor Hospitality. The first semester consists of different study modules that are brought through classroom lectures, workshops, field trips and guest lectures. You will attend weekly classes, compulsory, on these study modules.
The second semester starts in February and is called Business Operations and Management. You will travel to the seaside resort of Opatija, Croatia. This area is one of the most developed outdoor hospitality concepts in Europe. During this semester you will receive education at the campus of partner University of Rijeka. The study units apply to management of outdoor hospitality concepts and businesses, and will include field trips, assignments and an integrated project for a camping resort commissioner.
The third semester starts in September for which you will move to Girona, Spain for. The key focus of that semester is critical analysis, strategic thinking and planning. You will deepen critical thinking about sustainable camping strategies.
The last semester, Applied Research and Management Solutions, focuses on a real professional transformation of the master’s candidate. The first three months of this process involves writing a thesis on a relevant and innovative topic related to sustainability issues in outdoor hospitality management. After thesis submission you will travel to one of the countries with partnering industry actors in Europe and work as a trainee in a company during four months. In combination with your traineeship (75%), you will work in a team of junior researchers (25% of time) on a group destination assignment.
An overview of all courses can be found below. Please send an email to email@example.com if you would like to receive the full description of all courses.
Courses semester 1 at Breda University of Applied Sciences
- Destination Stakeholders Management (6 ECTS)
- Contemporary Marketing, Context and Trends (6 ECTS)
- Destination Development, Finance & Organisation (6 ECTS)
- Team Performance & Creative Leadership (2 ECTS)
- Cross Cultural Studies (4 ECTS)
- Qualitative Research Process Methods (6 ECTS)
Courses semester 2 at University of Rijeka
- Financial Reporting (3 ECTS)
- Sustainable Management in Outdoor Hospitality (9 ECTS)
- Customer Relationship and Sales Management (6 ECTS)
- Management and Operations (9 ECTS)
- Outdoor Hospitality Innovation (3 ECTS)
Courses semester 3 at University of Girona
- Destination Economic Management (3 ECTS)
- Sustainable Development of Tourism (3 ECTS)
- Quantitative Research Methods (3 ECTS)
- Tourism Science and Research (3 ECTS)
- Management Skills (3 ECTS)
- Revenue and Yield Management (3 ECTS)
- Experience Design (3 ECTS)
- Strategic Management (3 ECTS)
- Food and Beverage Management (3 ECTS)
- Financial Management of Tourism Products (3 ECTS)
Courses semester 4
- Master Thesis (12 ECTS)
- Transformation Project: Traineeship (18 ECTS)
The Master Sustainable Outdoor Hospitality Management is a two-year, full-time programme. The total study load is 120 ECTS credits. To give you an idea: 1 ECTS credit = approximately 28 to 30 hours of study.
Below you will find frequently asked questions about the content of the programme and the workfield, among other things. If your question is not listed, ask your question in the chat.
- Where can I stay during this master's programme?
In all three destinations, students can find different types of accommodation such as private rooms or apartments, dormitories and student hostels. It is your own responsibility to find accommodation, but all universities offer support. In Croatia, there are vacation rentals available where two students can live for €300 per person per month.
- Can I choose any campsite in Europe for the practical component?
A list of campsites and companies in Europe that are willing to accept students for placements will be published in the second semester and students can choose from these campsites. If the students find a suitable campsite by themselves, the Consortium Committee will make a decision for such a placement.
Study at three locations in Europe
“Live the life on campsites and discover its reality”
When am I admissible?
Students are eligible if they hold a bachelor’s degree (BA, BSc, BBA, B Com), for example in the fields of tourism, travel, hotel management, international business, management, economics, law, e-commerce, urban development, geography, social sciences or finance. Please check out the additional admission requirements.
What does this study cost?
The costs of this study programme are made up of amounts that you pay to the various universities of applied sciences involved.
Ten students have a chance to win a grant of € 5,000 from the Campsite Industry Scholarship programme.
In addition to the tuition fee, you will need to take into account additional costs for the purchase of study materials such as textbooks.
Read all about the study costs.
How can I register?
If you meet the admission requirements, you are invited to apply for this programme. Please check out the application procedure.
Graduates of the Master Sustainable Outdoor Hospitality Management entitled to three degrees:
- Master of Arts (BUas)
- Master of Science (UdG)
- Professional Specialist (UNIRI)
- Career examples
- Marketing Manager at Landal GreenParks,
- Human Resource Manager at Valamar Riviera,
- Concept designer at OYO Vacation Homes,
- Resort Landscape Designer at Pierres et Vacances,
- Parkmanagers of an international Holiday park.