Master Game Technology
The Master Game Technology is an excellent match with the bachelor's programme of Creative Media and Game Technologies. Alternatively, students are eligible if they hold a bachelor's degree in any relevant game development area, for example IT, programming, art, animation, design, and production. We have also had students with alternative backgrounds (such as architecture) who have an exceptional interest in game technologies.
Pre-existing knowledge in the field you wish to explore is required. This course will not teach you game development skills but the focus is rather on writing and research fundamentals. If you wish to make something to substantiate your research, for example a test scene with different mood settings, you will already need to possess the skills required to make that test scene.
If you are interested in learning how to build games rather than how to do research within the field, please take a look at our excellent bachelor's programme!
We encourage applicants who are working in the industry and already have a bachelor's degree. If you want to take a year off to take your skills and knowledge further, then we would be happy to receive your application.
To prepare for this master’s programme, you will have to do a literature review assignment on the field your wish to research. You will also provide a portfolio or relevant industry experience showing your expertise, knowledge, and skills in the area you want to research and master. The assignment and portfolio will be evaluated and discussed during your intake interview.
Literature Reviews will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- The Literature Review provides a good introduction to the field of interest
- The current developments, innovations, and/or problems within the field are clearly described. All claims and statements are evidenced with proper sources. Please note that in the Game Industry, blog posts and articles by industry experts are also considered proper sources.
- Subject fits with expertise available within the games programme or ADE research: Field is related to the game industry or is game industry adjacent by using techniques and/or innovations from the field of Games (virtual production for example)
- Evidence of fundamental skills and knowledge in the area of research is presented.
- Subject shows interest in and support from industry partners.
In addition to your assignment, criteria for admission are also your educational background, language skills, and personal qualities and motivation. Work experience in the field of study is preferred, this can also be study-related work experience (e.g. work placement). Depending on your test results, work experience and the field of study of your first degree, an additional course may be required for admission into the programme.
Flowchart for international applicants
English language requirements
You will also be required to demonstrate sufficient results on one of these tests:
- Cambridge English Qualification: results (B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency), minimum total score 169 and minimum subscore of 169 for speaking
- IELTS Academic test: minimum overall band score of 6.0, and minimum subscore of 6.0 for speaking
- TOEFL iBT test: minimum score of 80 internet-based, and minimum subscore of 20 for speaking
Exemptions from taking the English test
You do not need to submit English language test results if:
- you are a Dutch havo or vwo graduate
- you meet the educational requirements on basis of a regionally accredited US Highschool diploma, the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma, GCE A(S) level certificates issued by AQA, Pearson, OCR or Cambridge or the European Baccalaureate certificate (English Language 1 or 2)
- the language of instruction of the secondary school or university you completed or are completing is English in a native English-speaking country (i.e. one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (Quebec excluded), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America)
- you have obtained a diploma that is included in the list of diplomas compiled by Nuffic and one of your exam subjects was English. Check the list of diplomas (pdf).