studenten witte blouse

After arrival

Once in the Netherlands you have to arrange a few important things in the first days after arrival.

To arrange in short term

Students need to be registered in the municipality where they reside. On this page we give information of the municipality of Breda. If you will live in another municipality then Breda, you need to go to the Town Hall of that municipality.


To register in the municipal register you will need to bring the following documents:

  • valid passport or valid identity card and (if applicable) those of your child or children original birth certificate of all those to be registered (authenticated or with apostil) declaration by main occupant (verklaring inwoning),
  • housing permit (verhuurdersverklaring)
  • rental contract (huurcontract) or sales contract (koopcontract)
  • If you are not an EU citizen, you must also register at the IND (all Non-EU students will be contacted by Student Office)

You are obliged to deregister from the municipal register when you plan to leave Breda definitively. Incoming exchange students will receive a deregistration form during their check-out meeting.

Address in Studielink

If you register yourself at the municipality do not forget to change your address in Studielink (the national administration system for higher education in the Netherlands where you also are to apply). The address that you entered in Studielink will be used by Breda University of Applied Sciences to send news and information to you.

Make an appointment

To avoid lengthy waiting times, you are advised to make an appointment via the website of the municipality (in this case Breda).

Move house

It is very important to keep your data updated at all times; all government offices make use of these data. Information regarding renewal of your residence permit (Non-EU students) will be sent to the address included in the municipal register. If you need to change your address, please go to the Town hall and fill in a ‘change of address’ form.

All residents in the Netherlands are legally required to have adequate health insurance. A third-party liability insurance is highly recommended.

Health insurance

You are legally required to have health insurance to cover any medical costs you may incur during your stay. We strongly advise you to take out a health insurance policy before you arrive. There are various types of health insurance:

  • Dutch public health insurance
  • EU health insurance card
  • Student insurance policies
  • Home country insurance policy

Rabobank Insurances

Apart from opening a bank account, Rabobank can also offer you the recommended insurances (apart from the required health insurance) for your stay in the Netherlands at discounted rates. With your Rabobank Student account, a Liability Insurance and a (House) Contents Insurance (fire and theft) will cost you about € 8 per month.

For more information on health insurance in the Netherlands, please visit this website

Letter from the Dutch National Health Care Institute (Zorginstituut Nederland)

The majority of international students residing in the Netherlands do not need to take out Dutch public health insurance (see point 1. above for exceptions to this rule). However, after registering at your local Dutch municipality you may receive a letter from the Dutch National Health Care Institute (Zorginstituut Nederland – formerly known as CVZ) stating that, according to their records, you are not insured and must take out Dutch public health insurance (basisverzekering) immediately. It is important that you respond to this letter within three months, even if you think you have received it by mistake, otherwise you risk being fined.

Liability insurance

We strongly advise you to take out third-party liability insurance to cover any accidental damage or harm you may cause to other persons or property during your stay. This is not compulsory according to Dutch law, but is standard practice in the Netherlands and highly advisable. You can purchase liability insurance at a reasonable price from one of the aforementioned providers in advance, or insurance company upon arrival.



As a new foreign student in the Netherlands, it is strongly advised to open a Dutch bank account. A Dutch account and debit card will help you in your day-to-day activities by making it easier and more convenient to pay for things such as food, transport, living, utilities, insurance, and other bills.

More information

Register with a GP (general practitioner), for example Huisartsenpraktijk Brabantpark, and a dentist. Know where to find a chemist or a dispensing general practitioner in Breda.

Breda University of Applied Sciences has its own Erasmus Student Network for international students, called ESN Breda. This organisation can pick you up from the airport.

At your arrival in the country, ESN welcomes you at the airport and guides you to Breda. This service is available both at Schiphol Amsterdam airport and Eindhoven airport at the beginning of each semester. Volunteers will be waiting for you at a set meeting point. From here they will help you get a train ticket to Breda and help you to get to the right platform on time.

Once in Breda, more ESN volunteers will be waiting for you just outside the station. They will guide you to drivers, who will bring you to your accommodation. 

More information and contact form