New students

You have applied for one of the bachelor programmes at Breda University of Applied Sciences and you will soon start studying in Breda. However, there are lots of things to be arranged. The checklist on this page - listing the most important practical matters - will help you prepare for your studies. 


Please check the following:

  • Is your enrolment complete? Did you submit your application in your My online application? Have you arranged payment of your tuition fee? 
  • Have you submitted your request for study finance to DUO?
  • Have you requested your student travel product (OV-jaarkaart)?
  • Have you registered for student activities (e.g. introduction event) in BUAS MORE?
A place to live

Breda has a growing number of students, which is why accommodation in this city can be scarce. Breda University of Applied Sciences has no student rooms of its own and, therefore, you will have to find yourself a place to live well before starting your study.

Finances, grants & scholarships

In order to determine whether you stand any chance of financing your stay at Breda University of Applied Sciences, you will need a complete overview of all possible costs, especially the costs of living.


  • Study expense
    In addition to the tuition fee, please take into account that additional costs will range between some €400 and €700 per year, depending on your programme and participation in excursions.
  • Daily expences
    Your daily expenses include food, public transport, books, clothes, and cinema tickets. But you also need to take into account the costs of housing and insurance. Experience has shown that students living and studying in Holland for one year spend between €700 and €1,000 a month.

Getting financial help

If you need additional financing, you might want to consider looking for extra financial support:

Apply for a visa

In order to be able to study in the Netherlands, you may need to apply for residency. This depends on your nationality.

  • European Union / European Economic Area and Switzerland: You will not need a visa and/or residence permit.
  • Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USA, Japan, South Korea, Monaco or Vatican City: You will need a residence permit.
  • Students with other nationalities: You will need an entry visa AND residence permit.

More than one nationality?

If you have more than one nationality, you may choose which of your nationalities you want to use for your stay in the Netherlands. If one of these nationalities is EU/EEA or Swiss, we recommend you choose this nationality.

Schengen Area

Residence permits arranged through Breda University of Applied Sciences will allow you to travel freely (up to 90 days every six months) in the Schengen Area, which makes trips to Spain, France, Germany and other European countries easily possible. The following countries are Schengen Visa Members.

How to apply for a visa and/or residence permit?

Breda University of Applied Sciences Student Office will start the application procedure for your visa and/or residence permit as soon as you have been admitted to one of the Breda University of Applied Sciences’s course programmes or exchange programmes. The procedure may take up to 8 weeks.

Breda University of Applied Sciences Student Office will send you an email with login code and password to use the Visa Care+ application system. After logging in you will be guided through the Visa / Residence Permit application procedure. You will find all the instructions needed on the ‘My Documents Page’ that will be activated after you have filled in the online application form.

Validity of residence permit

Generally, a residence permit will be issued for the duration of your study programme plus 3 months, provided that you obtain 50% of your credits every year. Apart from the 50% credit completion requirement, you will need to submit a copy of your current health insurance policy, a copy of your valid passport, and proof of having sufficient financial means to cover all your living expenses annually.


Insurance coverage

All residents in the Netherlands are legally required to have adequate health insurance. A third-party liability insurance is highly recommended.

Health insurance

You are legally required to have health insurance to cover any medical costs you may incur during your stay. We strongly advise you to take out a health insurance policy before you arrive. There are various types of health insurance:

  • Dutch public health insurance
  • EU health insurance card
  • Student insurance policies
  • Home country insurance policy

Rabobank Insurances

Apart from opening a bank account, Rabobank can also offer you the recommended insurances (apart from the required health insurance) for your stay in the Netherlands at discounted rates. With your Rabobank Student account, a Liability Insurance and a (House) Contents Insurance (fire and theft) will cost you about € 8 per month.

For more information on health insurance in the Netherlands, please visit this website. For more information about insurance you can visit this website.

Letter from the Dutch National Health Care Institute (Zorginstituut Nederland)

The majority of international students residing in the Netherlands do not need to take out Dutch public health insurance (see point 1. above for exceptions to this rule). However, after registering at your local Dutch municipality you may receive a letter from the Dutch National Health Care Institute (Zorginstituut Nederland – formerly known as CVZ) stating that, according to their records, you are not insured and must take out Dutch public health insurance (basisverzekering) immediately. It is important that you respond to this letter within three months, even if you think you have received it by mistake, otherwise you risk being fined.

Liability insurance

We strongly advise you to take out third-party liability insurance to cover any accidental damage or harm you may cause to other persons or property during your stay. This is not compulsory according to Dutch law, but is standard practice in the Netherlands and highly advisable. You can purchase liability insurance at a reasonable price from one of the aforementioned providers in advance, or insurance company upon arrival.

Local municipal authority

Students need to be registered in the municipality where they reside. On this page we give information of the municipality of Breda. If you will live in another municipality then Breda, you need to go to the Town Hall of that municipality.


To register in the municipal register you will need to bring the following documents:

  • valid passport or valid identity card and (if applicable) those of your child or children original birth certificate of all those to be registered (authenticated or with apostil) declaration by main occupant (verklaring inwoning),
  • housing permit (verhuurdersverklaring)
  • rental contract (huurcontract) or sales contract (koopcontract)
  • If you are not an EU citizen, you must also register at the IND (all Non-EU students will be contacted by Student Office)

You are obliged to deregister from the municipal register when you plan to leave Breda definitively. Incoming exchange students will receive a deregistration form during their check-out meeting.

Address in Studielink

If you register yourself at the municipality do not forget to change your address in Studielink (the national administration system for higher education in the Netherlands where you also are to apply). The address that you entered in Studielink will be used by Breda University of Applied Sciences to send news and information to you.

Make an appointment

To avoid lengthy waiting times, you are advised to make an appointment via the website of the municipality (in this case Breda).

Move house

It is very important to keep your data updated at all times; all government offices make use of these data. Information regarding renewal of your residence permit (Non-EU students) will be sent to the address included in the municipal register. If you need to change your address, please go to the Town hall and fill in a ‘change of address’ form.

GP & chemist
Find a GP (general practitioner), for example Huisartsenpraktijk Brabantpark, and dentist and register with a GP. Know where to find a chemist or a dispensing general practitioner in Breda.


  • Laptop. 
  • Software. As a Breda University of Applied Sciences student, you can buy software through Surfspot at substantial discounts. Select Breda University of Applied Sciences and use your Breda University of Applied Sciences account and password to enter the site.
  • Books. Order new books or try to find second-hand books.

Starting your study career at Breda University of Applied Sciences means a new school, a new town and lots of new people… To support you and your fellow students in getting acquainted with your new environment, Breda University of Applied Sciences offers some introduction programmes. Each introduction programme will take place in a fun, relaxing, sporty and educational environment!

For international students: International Kick-off

Next to all introduction programmes we organise a special International Kick-off for all new international students who start their studies at Breda University of Applied Sciences next September on Monday August 26th. Make sure you mark this date on your calendar!

You will be informed about practical matters, such as insurance-related, municipal and legal issues, how to open a Dutch bank account, how the Dutch medical system works, and so on. There will be an Info Market. Of course there will also be room for the fun part of studying at Breda University of Applied Sciences and getting to know your fellow students. 

More detailed information will follow in the Student Office newsletters which you will receive once you are admitted (conditionally).